Dear HR, Training and L&D Champions,
When Interviewing a Trainer - Will this be a DISCUSSION or PRESENTATION
We have learnt our lesson. Before arranging for trainers to present to our clients, we need to ask if its a discussion or presentation. WHY?
If you are thinking all this while that during the 1st interviewing meeting; trainers definitely need to 'present' via their laptops, let me share with you that there are other clients that wants them to 'discuss' and not hide behind their presentation slides. However, there is no 1 fit answer here.
This depends on the timeline ability (meaning do you have a lot of time to schedule 2 interview meetings with the trainers, if yes go ahead and design your own best style of interview meetings) . But let us share with you some TIPS in the industry.
So what are the reasons to have the 1st meeting as a 'discussion' rather than a 'presentation'? The reasons to ask a trainer to discuss is to evaluate the following:
- To gauge the level of conversational ability of the trainer
- To find out how deep is the depth of knowledge on the subject of their training
- To know the trainer himself/herself on personal level (although its only a 1 hour discussion)
Here are some questions you can ask the trainer during your discussion phase:
- What exactly does your business do?
- How does your business define success?
- What is your growth plan for the next few years?
- Why do you think we need (the training you wanted)?
- Why do you deserve to be our trainer?
- How & Why should a trainer ensure best contents are deliver to learners?
Hope the above can teach you some new insight on various methods that can be used when interviewing a trainer during the 1st meeting.
Until our learning article,
TLMM Quote for December 2018: Don't re-invent the wheel or lay the same foundation as your predecessors. THINK. CHANGE. ACT.
Cheryl Lourdes & The MatchMakers
We Consult, Match & Screen Best Expert Trainers in Town!
TLMM' recent validation since started in Y2010:
- Award Winner 2015 for Best Background Screening Provider By Human Resource Vendor
- Award Winner 2017 for HRD Movers and Shakers Best Innovation Practices in Learning and Development
- Award Winner 2017 for Best Background Screening Provider By Human Resource Vendors